At the beginning of the week, PGA TOUR and NBC Sports Group announced a new multi-year digital partnership that will allow fans and viewers more opportunities to watch this glorious game all love.
Starting in 2019, NBC Sports Gold, which is NBC Sports Digital's direct-to-consumer live streaming product, will be the home of PGA TOUR LIVE in the U.S. Currently, PGA TOUR LIVE is the TOUR's OTT (over-the-top) subscription video service.
The deal includes rights to all of PGA TOUR LIVE's Thursday and Friday morning coverage from 28 events, starting in January with the CareerBuilder Challenge, as well as THE PLAYERS in March and running through the FedExCup Playoffs in August.
With NBC Sports Gold, fans will have access to PGA TOUR LIVE throughout desktop, Android, iOS devices, Apple TV, and expanding to Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, and Roku next year.
“Since we launched PGA TOUR LIVE in late 2015, the fan feedback has been tremendous,” said Rick Anderson, Chief Media Officer of the PGA TOUR. “In 2018, virtually every key metric is up triple digits versus last year and the coverage gets better and better every week. Moving PGA TOUR LIVE over to NBC Sports Gold represents the next evolution of our product. Not only will Golf Channel and NBC Sports be promoting PGA TOUR LIVE to its massive audience of millions of television and digital viewers, but also, PGA TOUR LIVE will now be available on several new connected TV devices due to NBC Sports’ expanded platform distribution. In 2019, our live coverage will be significantly better, and more accessible, for subscribers of PGA TOUR LIVE.”
Some highlights of the PGA TOUR LIVE subscription package on NBC Sports Gold include:
- Pre-game Show: a 30-minute preview program that leads into the morning’s live competition coverage.
- Featured Groups: early round coverage on Thursday and Friday prior to Golf Channel’s afternoon television window. Featured Groups coverage follows two concurrent, high-profile groups throughout their 18-hole rounds. To-date in 2018, PGA TOUR LIVE has featured entire rounds (outside traditional televised windows) of Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, Rickie Fowler, and dozens more.
- Featured Holes: live coverage of some of the PGA TOUR’s most iconic holes, concurrent with Golf Channel’s television window (traditionally from 3-6 p.m. ET).
- Integrated Statistical Feeds: Users never have to leave the action with integrated live leaderboards and player scorecards.
- Comprehensive Viewership Experience: Streamlines the PGA TOUR viewership experience by providing golf fans a continuous platform for streaming via NBC Sports Gold for PGA TOUR LIVE’s, Golf Channel’s and NBC Sports’ coverage windows.
- Featured Player Recaps: Users can get caught up on the day’s action with new condensed rounds from each player in the Featured Group coverage.
- Event Recaps: Watch an event recap in an hour-long cut down show that highlights the best of that weeks’ tournament.
Pricing options will be announced in January. It's a great time to be a golf fan!